Having worked in boiler-room telemarketing agencies early in my career, I got first-hand experience with high-pressure telemarketing tactics.
What you do is overwhelm your prospects with glib and manipulative talk to get good short-term results. You will see this commonly in business-to-consumer telemarketing where the goal is a quick sale.
The telemarketing scripts are written so that they:
Establish fake rapport
- “What a coincidence, we both have the same first name!”
- “Really, you own a bulldog? So do I!”
- “You’re from Chicago? I went to school there!”
- “Look, I can see you’re an intelligent man. This is smartest thing you can do.”
- “You’ve obviously got great taste. That’s why this is perfect for you.”
- “Really? You need to ask your wife first? Who wears the pants in the house?”
- “You’re not a cheapskate, are you?”
Make You Feel Guilty
- “Don’t you love your children?”
- “You could save a life.”
- “The home inspector could drop by any day. Get this fixed now or face big fines.”
- “Your’re putting your family at risk.”
Make Empty Promises
- “You’re going to be absolutely delighted. I guarantee it!”
..and so on.
The call flow is scripted so that every time the caller gets a no, they try a different tactic…
Reps are expected to try a minimum of three “rebuttals”… never let a prospect off the hook. Reps are supposed to keep trying until the prospect just hangs up on them.
The analogy is fishing. Once you’ve got a fish on the hook, you keep reeling them in no matter what.
Buyers remorse is dealt with by putting up procedural obstacles in the way of cancellations or returns.
Most people can’t be bothered with tedium or details. Make cancellations onerous, and 99% of people will give up.
If the buyer somehow manages to get through these obstacles, he is then put through the wringer one last time by an agent specially trained to dissuade people from cancelling.
How far telemarketing agencies carry these kinds of tricks depends on how sleazy they are. The harder the sell, the more likely you’re dealing with a scam artist or vendor that will not honor his guarantees.